Which charitable organizations are eligible for consideration by the group?
Eligible charities or organizations must be:
- based in the Cowichan and surrounding area
- registered as a not-for-profit or charitable organization
- eligible to provide tax receipts for donations
- previously established (no start-ups)
No national or international charities, programs or organizations will be considered at this time as the current focus is on contributing to our local community.
How often can a charity receive a donation?
A charity/organization receiving a donation from 100+Women Cowichan won’t be eligible again for three years, unless it is a specific program within a large organization.
- For example, a hospital may receive funding for a specific department or program, and after one year, receive another donation for a different program or department.
If you wish to nominate a charitable organization, you must complete the Charity Nomination Form and submit it at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes, your donations are tax deductible:
- Tax receipts will be issued directly by the charitable organization.
- Only registered not-for-profit and charitable organizations will be sponsored by the group.
- Cheques are written directly to the charitable organization and NOT to 100 Women Who Care Cowichan.
How is the organization that receives the group donation chosen?
- Nominations are submitted by members, and those organization’s names go into a container (basket, hat, box, etc).
- Three charity/organization names are drawn from the container by random attendees.
- The person who nominated the charity/organization delivers a short five-minute presentation about the charity and the need for the donation.
- All of the attendees vote on their choice of the three nominated charities/organizations.
- While the votes are counted, previous winning charities describe the benefits of having received donations.
- The charity receiving the most votes will receive the donation.
- Each attendee writes a $100 cheque directly to the charity/organization.
- All the cheques are submitted at the end of the meeting and delivered to the charity/organization.
We encourage you to nominate local, needy, charitable organizations!
What if I cannot attend a meeting?
It is very important that all cheques are received on the day of the meeting!
If you cannot attend a meeting you can either:
1. Send in a blank, signed cheque with a trusted friend to the meeting (preferred).
- Your friend will write in the name of the chosen charity on the check and give it to the organizers on your behalf.
- Your friend may not vote on your behalf. We can only count the votes of members who are present at the meeting.
2. Contact one of the organizers prior to the meeting to arrange collection of your cheque.
3. Drop your check off at:
Kate Roome, Notary Public
#200 – 394 Duncan Street
(next to the movie theatre)
Can I just send the donation to the charity myself?
The goal of 100 Women Who Care Cowichan is to make a large donation on behalf of the whole group. This is the power of joining forces!
It is important for us to track your donations so that you remain eligible to nominate charities and vote at meetings.
How long do the meetings last?
The networking/wine social is slated for an hour, from 6-7 pm.
The meeting takes an hour, from 7-8 pm.
Feel free to attend the full hour of networking, or arrive at any time during that hour.
Can I bring a friend to the meeting?
Of course you can! We are always seeking women who care! However, in order to vote she will need to sign a Commitment Form and become a member. Otherwise she is free to observe and contribute a donation if she likes.
Does any of my donation go to administration costs of 100 Women Who Care?
100 Women Who Care Cowichan is organized and operated entirely by volunteers. 100% of the money raised at our meetings goes directly to the selected organizations!
What do you do with my personal information?
100 Women Who Care Cowichan collects your personal information (including name, address, email address, phone number) strictly for the purpose of maintaining our membership list. We will not sell, give or otherwise share your personal information without your express consent, unless required by law.